Pages

Thursday, June 23, 2011

writer's wednesday

[image via google images.]

Hey friends! I spent some quality time with my roommate last night watching So You Think You Can Dance and US soccer.. Needless to say, this post got pushed back! But allow me to introduce writer's wednesday, a feature on books and blogs that I've been reading.

lately I've been concentrating on a book called "Searching for God Knows What" by donald miller. This isn't a new book and I've read it before, but I felt that I should come back to it for several reasons. One thing I've been dealing with is feeling like I'm loving God and serving my church more with my head than my heart. I just thought of it like that this morning in my office. As a worship director, I have to plan a lot of meetings and sunday music and that all takes a lot of organization, which I'm good at. But at the same time, I think it's been taking away from the heart I should be putting into the job, and in my life in general. I've let the work take over until it's no longer my hands willingly serving, but my brain.

Anyway.. This book is one of donald's best. Everything he writes has a great sense of humor to it, and he doesn't shy away from uncomfortable points in his faith or times he has questioned God. He doesn't pretend to have all the answers or claim to be a self-help guru. His books are great to read when you feel stuck in your faith or just don't even know what to believe anymore.. Or don't believe anything at all. He has some good insight that will make you think even if you don't consider yourself to be religious.

Thanks for reading this long post.. Back later with Thursday's theme!

xo.

No comments: