Pages

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

brave as a six year old

i really like thinking about this since reading it this morning:

"Be as brave as a six year old.

Until a few weeks ago that idea didn't make sense. I've never associated bravery with childhood, until the night before my daughter L.E. started kindergarten. We were sitting on her bed and I was trying to sell her hard on the idea. (“It will be awesome. So many friends and recess and gym!”) And in the midst of that conversation she bit her lip and admitted, "I'm a little nervous." That's all she said and then she turned her head and refused to look at me. She was doing her best to hold it together. She didn't want to cry. She didn't want to fall apart the night before the big day.

Think about how the age of the kid amplifies the size of the experience. When you and I change jobs, we have precedent to fall back on. We can say, "Wow, new job starts today. Fortunately I've had a few other jobs before. I have a decade of work under my belt, this won't be so bad." But for kids, there's no history to fall back on. The first day of school is a gigantic adventure of colossal proportions.

Yet, she was brave.

In that moment, I felt like God challenged my understanding of who He made me to be. I've read verses about being more childlike all my life but never thought about what they’re really saying. In Matthew 18:3 for instance, Jesus says:"I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.” What does it mean to become like little children? I think it might mean that we’re supposed to be as brave as a six year old.

I think it might mean we're supposed to be as trusting as a six year old. They put their faith in God and their parents with an abandon that isn't limited to logic or reason. They just trust."

- Jon from the "Stuff White People Like" blog

Amen. let's be more like kids.

No comments: