Pages

Friday, October 24, 2008

he knew exactly what he was writing.

I've been reading in Corinthians since I finished Romans and Paul has some cool ideas and messages in the first book. I'm reading chapter 8 and it's talking about food sacrificed to idols, but Paul totally wanted to use food as a secret example for other things, like anything we place before God in our lives. We can substitute food for anything that is separating us from God in the present moment. 8:8 says this: "But food does not bring us near to God; we are no worse if we do not eat, and no better if we do." I like to put anything that's coming between me and God in the place of "food" and learn from it. I challenge you to do that as well.

The next verse says, "Be careful, however, that the exercise of your freedom does not become a stumbling block to the weak." But I think that in my life right now, me not exercising my freedom is the stumbling block. I'm so hindered in telling people about Christ and putting it out there for them to either accept or reject. Paul is talking about setting the example by what you do (i.e. not eating food sacrificed to idols while supposedly following God) but I read that verse and thought to myself, "I don't exercise my freedom nearly enough."

This has been a very difficult month, but I don't think I've ever had a semester where I've heard from God more.




No comments: